The CBD Secretariat is keeping the situation under review and will continue to apply all the science-based guidance and advice that is received from the World Health Organization, the United Nations Environment Programme and all relevant national authorities.
A number of critical and time-sensitive meetings are being organized virtually:
- Meeting of the Ad Hoc Technical Expert Group on Digital Sequence Information on Genetic Resources, 17-20 March 2020.
- Meeting of the Ad Hoc Technical Expert Group on Risk Assessment, 31 March-3 April 2020.
- Seventeenth meeting of the Compliance Committee under the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety, 15-17 April 2020.
- Fourteenth meeting of the Liaison Group on the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety, 20-23 April 2020.
- Third meeting of the Compliance Committee under the Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit-sharing, 21-23 April 2020.
As of 13 March, and in consultation with the UN Environment Programme, the following meetings have been cancelled or postponed:
- Follow-up workshop of biodiversity related Conventions on the post-2020 global biodiversity framework (Bern 2), originally scheduled for 25-27 March 2020, Bern, Switzerland.
- Thematic Consultation on Sustainable Use of Biological Diversity for the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, originally scheduled for 30 March-1 April 2020, Bern, Switzerland.
- The Global Taxonomy Initiative Forum, originally scheduled for 7-9 April 2020, Berlin, Germany.
With regards to the twenty-fourth meeting of the Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice (SBSTTA-24), originally scheduled for 18-23 May 2020 in Montreal, and the third meeting of the Subsidiary Body on Implementation (SBI-3), scheduled for 25-30 May 2020 in Montreal, the CBD Secretariat is currently exploring alternative scenarios with the COP (Conference of the Parties) Presidency, the Chairs of the SBSTTA and SBI meetings, Canadian authorities and the International Civil Aviation Organization.
The CBD Secretariat will provide further updates on new dates in due course.